Thursday, April 16, 2009

Back of tooth 8,9 were polished by dentist I had braces from 5/01 till 8/03 teeth feel cold is dentin exposed?

Hi I am 24. Been told recently the appearence of my teeth are very good. I was 23 when this polising took place on 11/5/2007. In 10/2007, I developed a lot of sensitivity to pressure on tooth 8, 9 right around the time I finished using crest whitestrips. I got stressed around this time and started clenching and biting my tongue really hard and well long story short my teeth hurt by mid october and when I would bite down teeth would strike down on the bottom teeth and they would hurt bad and it would feel like teeth were loose. Well I went to this new dentist and he polished the back of tooth 8 and 9 a little and after he did that they were no longer striking and the teeth healed in a day or 2! the teeth only slightly feel sensitive to pressure like when I take my retainer off in the AM. Can this procedure be reversed? I have no crowns at all or fillings except for fillings on molars. PS, Ive always had most pressure on left of mouth therefore teeth on left show signs of wear.

Back of tooth 8,9 were polished by dentist I had braces from 5/01 till 8/03 teeth feel cold is dentin exposed?
It sounds like you were given correct treatment by your dentist. I myself have a similar issue -- sensitivity on my many of my anterior teeth from occlusal equilibration after braces. The dentin is not necessarily exposed, but it can still be sensitive from thinner enamel. From what I understand of your case, I don%26#039;t know of any other easy options besides adjusting (%26quot;polishing%26quot;) the teeth. You could have gone back into braces, e.g. I would be comfortable asking your current dentist for advice.





The procedure cannot be reversed, because then you would be back to the problem of too much pressure on your front teeth (which will cause bone loss over time...if not adjusted you would likely lose the teeth).





My advice would be to start using Sensodyne toothpaste. You need to use it consistently for about 2-3 weeks before you will notice results.





If this was not sufficient, ask your dentist about SootheRX, a relatively new paste for this kind of thing. I have not personally prescribed it yet...though I may soon.





If all that is not sufficient, you may need to get crowns on the front teeth or possibly just tooth colored fillings to decrease the sensitivity.





If I were you, I would have a new retainer made to the way your teeth are after a few days without a retainer, because it sounds like your old retainer is pushing the teeth back into heavy occlusion (bad). Ask the dentist.





Lastly, no more bleaching as this can sensitize already sensitive teeth.





Best wishes.



small business

No comments:

Post a Comment